Page 5 of 14
Moving Appliances - Moving 101
- Clean and dry all appliances at least 24 hours before your move date.
- Consider using empty space in your appliances to move lightweight or crushable items.
- Remove broiler pan and racks from your oven.
- Tape burners or coil elements to the top of your stove and tape down all knobs.
- Disconnect and empty all washing machine hoses and store them inside the machine. Immobilize the tub with a brace or by placing towels between the tub and sidewall.
- Tape electrical cords to each appliance and tape all doors and lids closed.
- Dishes or Glasses
- Wrap breakables in tissue paper and use newspaper to fill extra spaces in boxes.
- Pack plates on their edges. Consider using potholders and dishtowels to cushion the bottom and sides of your boxes.
- For greater protection, consider purchasing "dish packs" sold by packaging stores.
- Fine silver should be wrapped in cloth or silver paper.
- Wrap all pieces individually with enough newspaper, bubble wrap or foam to create a cushion effect.
- Do the same for decorative pieces or bric-a-brac.